About the Arlington County Police Department
February 1, 1940, the Arlington County Police Department was formed. Harry Woodyard, a deputy sheriff, became the first Chief
of Police. Expanding rapidly, the Police Division grew from its original nine members to thirty-nine members by 1943. Population
growth and the manpower demands of World War II forced the county to consider every option for keeping its citizens safe.
Forty-five volunteers were sworn into the Auxiliary Police organization which was formed in 1942.
County Police Department provides a variety of services, ranging from standard patrolling of the streets of Arlington to escorts
of dignitaries from Arlington to the White House. The Arlington County Police
Department has an authorized strength of 363 sworn police offices and 110 civilian employees; and, a budget of over $42 million.