Thomas E. Baker
About the Henrico
County Police DepartmentAccording
to the Henrico Police Department, “Located in Central Virginia, Henrico County is approximately 245 square miles in
size and has a population of over 301,000. We are bordered by the City of Richmond, and the counties of Charles City, Chesterfield,
Goochland, Hanover and New Kent. Two major Interstate highways run through the County. Interstate 95 is
a major North/South highway and is one of the busiest roads in the Country. Interstate 64 is an East/West highway ending in
the Tidewater area of Virginia. Richmond International Airport is located in the County.
The first known mention of an "officer" in Henrico was the appointment
of a Special Police Officer on December 14, 1871. There is no further mention until 1908 when the Board of Supervisors recommended
that a mounted patrol be used. The first major step toward today's department was in 1915 when T. Wilson Seay was appointed
the first Chief of Police. When the County converted to the County Manager form of government in 1934 there were 8 police
officers. In 1938 the Board of Supervisors placed the Division of Police under direct control of the County Manager, thus
removing any political ties with the Sheriff's office. The Division of Police has seen steady growth and improvement over
the past 70 years.
With an authorized complement of 584
sworn police officers, the Chief of Police is the chief law enforcement officer in the County. The Chief is appointed by the
County Manager. The elected Sheriff's primary duties are managing the jail, court security, and the service of civil process.
The Henrico County Police is fully accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies
(CALEA) and Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission.”