About the Huntington Park Police DepartmentThe City of Huntington Park was founded in 1906 and from it's inception, has
had it's own Municipal Police Department. Originally a one man Department with a City Marshal, the department grew as
did the City. Following World War One, the size of the Department increased to a Marshal and four Deputies. The new Deputies
wore their Army uniforms as Police uniforms.
The Policemen remained Deputies until 1932. The title "Deputy" was changed
to "Policeman" in 1933. Following the Long Beach Earthquake of 1933, where many buildings in Huntington Park were
damaged, the Huntington Park Police Department was built on the Southeast corner of Gage and Pacific. During this period,
the majority of the police officers on the Department were motorcycle traffic officers. Their uniforms were tan while the
regular Patrol Officers began wearing blue. When a motorcycle officer was hired on, he was issued a badge and a hat badge.
He provided his weapon, uniform and motorcycle.
Police cars didn't have police radios so several "Police Call Boxes were
positioned around the City. Whenever the station received a call for assistance, the Police Operator would activated a red
light which was atop several tall towers throughout the City. The Policeman, on patrol, would need to routinely look for the
tower light and when seeing the light, he would call the station from one of the many call boxes. This system was discontinued
in the mid-1940's when the Department was equipped with car radios and a main station radio however, the call boxes remained
until the mid 1970's.