About the Merrimack Police Department
Research through the Town of Merrimack Annual Reports,
show that as far back as 1893, the Town of Merrimack had some sort of Law Enforcement in place. It was in 1893 that the Town of Merrimack actually had a town resident appointed to serve as a Law Enforcer.
There were two men named to that post which was titled "Constable an Ballot Clerk". They were Mr. Lewis J. Read and Mr. G.E.
Blanchard. They were paid $6.00 each for their services that year.
From 1893 to 1940, there were no "Police Officers",
per se. The persons charged with enforcing laws were called "Constables". For most of those years, there were three
men who responded when the need arose.
In 1940, the Town of Merrimack began its
very first Police Department with its first Police Chief. In 1940, under the direction of Chief O'Leary, the Police Department
budget was $379.19. There were four Officers, all on a part-time status. During that year, there were a total of 253 calls