About the Montgomery County
In April 1992, the Maryland legislature
enacted Chapter 259 directing the appoint of six constables to be known as the Montgomery County Police. In 1922, the Montgomery County Police expanded to 20 police officers and established its headquarters in
the basement of the old Montgomery County Court House. Today, the Montgomery
County Police Department patrol area is divided into six districts each commanded by a police captain. Each police district is responsible for providing direct and comprehensive police services including patrol,
traffic enforcement and conducting criminal investigations.