the National City Police DepartmentAccording to the National City Police Department, “The City of National City
was incorporated in 1887 and it is the second oldest city in San Diego County. National City was originally part of the 26,000
acre El Rancho de La Nacion which was purchased in 1868 by Frank Kimball. The National City Police Department began with the
appointment of J.C. Crain as Town Marshall.
1935, the Police Department grew to twelve officers including the Chief of Police. The population grew to approximately 8,000
residents and the main business district was located along National Avenue, between 5th and 11th Street.
1954, The Police Department consisted of four patrol cars, two detective units, one under-cover vehicle, a combination patrol-ambulance
vehicle, four motor-cycles, and a pound wagon. The National City Police Department grew from the days of the Town Marshall
into a modern department with 34 officers including the Chief of Police.
1993, the new Police Station was built along the 1200 block of National City Blvd. Prior to this facility, the station was
located in the basement floor of City Hall. Presently, the National City Police Department employs 92 police officers and
43 professional staff members serving approximately 59,000 residents in a nine square mile area.”