About the New Orleans
New Orleans became a part of
the United States by the Louisiana Purchase on December 20, 1803. The city limits at that time were in the restricted boundaries
of Canal Street on the South, Esplanade Street on the North, the Ramparts on the West and the levee on the East. Beyond that,
there was nothing but swamps and plantations. In 1804 came the patrol militia under James Pitot, the then Mayor of New Orleans.
The Guard Deville (City Watch) followed in 1806 but was abolished in 1808. Militia patrols were again established. By 1817,
with the growth of the city, the number of constables increased to 46 and for the first time, the city was divided into police
districts - French Quarter, Faubourg’s Treme, St. Mary and Marigny. A Guard House was placed in each district.
Today, the New Orleans Police
Department is organized into five bureaus who report to the Superintendent of Police: Bureau of Investigations; Operations
Bureau; Criminal Intelligence Bureau; Public Integrity Bureau; and, Administrative and Support Bureau. A deputy chief in charge of policing and planning also reports to the New Orleans Police Department Superintendent
Operations Bureau is the largest, with over 17 divisions and 1700 commissioned police officers.