About the Rogue River
The Rogue River Police Department
is located at 133 Broadway. There are five officers and several reserve officers. The department patrols the city limits and
is often engaged in assisting all other law enforcement agencies in the area. Rogue River is protected not only by the five-member
city police department, but also by the Jackson County Sheriff's Office and the Oregon State Police.
In the early 19th century, before the first
European American settlers arrived, the river valley was inhabited by the Shasta, Takelma, and Rogue River tribes of Native
Americans. The early fur traders named this river the "River of the Rogues". A flood of white settlers began to arrive in
the valley after the Donation Land Act, which allocated 320 acres (2.6 kmē) of land to each married couple. Between 1836 and
1856, the valley was the scene of a series of bloody conflicts between white settlers and the Rogue River tribe. In 1851 gold
was discovered in the nearby mountains. The mining activity was centered on the now-restored town of Jacksonville west of
Medford. At the peak of the gold rush some $70 million was extracted from the Rogue.
The city has a current population of 1847
in the city proper. It has an elected mayor and city council featuring five elected council members as well as a City Administrator
and other appointed posts including finance, public works, budgetary, planning and community relations commissions.