About the Saratoga Springs Police Department
The earliest known policeman in Saratoga Springs was Joseph Bliven, a village
constable in 1827. By 1887, Saratoga Springs had grown to a point where a Police Department was needed to ensure law and order.
An act of the State Legislature created the Saratoga Springs Police Department on April 26, 1887. On June 1, 1887, eight men
marked their first official work day in the new department. At that time, a Chief and two officers worked days and an Assistant
Chief and four officers worked nights. During the summer the city population tripled, and the police force would increase
to twenty-four officers.
Police headquarters was built in 1887 as a brick building that formed an annex
to town hall. The department still resides in the same location, expanding out into other portions of the building as its
staff grew in numbers.
Today, seventy sworn police officers make up the ranks of the police department.
In support of the police officers are ten dispatchers, two prisoner transport officers, and civilian support staff. The police
department is divided into three main components; the Patrol Division, Investigations Division, and Traffic Division.