About the Lake Forest
Policemen patrolling their beat
on bicycles, Lake Foresters riding in open horse-drawn carriages, and signs advertising
"All the Root Beer You Can Drink for a Nickel" were sights the traveler took in while visiting this city in 1895. During that
time, the police force of Lake Forest consisted of one man.
During World War II, the strength
of the agency reached its peak with more than 50 members. Approximately 30 of these were auxiliary police, resident civilians
who became members of the City's Office of Civilian Defense and who trained for whatever emergency the war could have staged.
In 1895, when Lake Forest's one
policeman rode his bicycle through town, his ambition was to have a motor propelled vehicle in order to cover the area more
efficiently. Later, with the invention of the auto, the City purchased a vehicle, then a motorcycle, steadily advancing communications.
Until 1932, policemen on beat
were able to contact headquarters only by a system of call boxes located at eight strategic places in Lake Forest. Temporarily
meeting the problem was the installation of a one-way radio system. Receivers were installed in the three squad cars and messages
from the station were relayed by phone to the Chicago Police Department's transmitting unit. In 1934 two-way radio sets improved
communication, and in 1935, several officers were schooled in fingerprinting and photographing, after which the department
inaugurated a Bureau of Identification.
The department today continues
to stay in pace the growth of Lake Forest.
Sargei “Sarge” Hoteko
served 27 years in various law enforcement capacities. After his military service
in the United States Army he joined the Lake Forest Police Department (Illinois). Then,
in 1975, he joined the United States Customs Service. Ultimately, he retired
as Chief Inspector for Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport. Sarge
Hoteko is the author of two books: On The Fringe
Of History: A riveting behind-the-scenes look at the war on drugs and terrorism from a "fed" who fought the fight and Hoteko's
Laws: A Manager's Guide to Success, Survival and Sanity in the Federal Government.
On The Fringe Of History is Chief Inspector Sarge
Hoteko's personal memoir, including his experiences as a narcotic interdiction and antiterrorism instructor in 16 countries
around the globe. Hoteko reveals the shocking, rampant and systematic corruption within many of those governments, especially;
Pakistan, Mexico, Bolivia and Nigeria--the most corrupt nation on earth. On The Fringe of History follows one American's fascinating
career around the world and captures the sheer patriotic joy he experienced while serving his country.
Hoteko's Laws: A Manager's Guide to Success, Survival and Sanity in the Federal Government are “Chief Inspector Sarge Hoteko's golden rules on managing in the federal government. He states
only 10 percent of those in management make any useful contribution. The remaining 90 percent are along for the free ride
- all at taxpayer expense. You'll meet the people he labels: The sandbaggers, the clowns, the wackos, the yes men and the
Discover the other myriad impeding
factors that face the 10 percenters. Observe how prying reporters, pompous politicians, devious lawyers, power hungry unions
and volatile EEO issues can impact a manager's ability to get the job done. Learn the shocking truth behind some talented
people who sadly self-destructed. Examine his compelling case that the 10 percenters are better managers than their private
About the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Created in March 2003, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the largest investigative branch
of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The agency was created after 9/11, by combining the law enforcement arms of
the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the former U.S. Customs Service, to more effectively enforce our
immigration and customs laws and to protect the United States against terrorist attacks. ICE does this by targeting illegal
immigrants: the people, money and materials that support terrorism and other criminal activities. ICE is a key component of
the DHS “layered defense” approach to protecting the nation.