From the History
of the New York Police Department
The Mayor, in his message, June 18, 1832, expressed his gratification at the improved condition
of the City Watch, "upon which the repose of our citizens, and the safety of our property so essentially depend."
"the persons so engaged," said the Mayor, "had always constituted a highly respectable class, with some few
exceptions, and under the judicious arrangements of their Captains, the Watch were becoming constantly more useful, and were
entitled to confidence and encouragement."
The Finance Committee--to whom was
referred the communication from the Comptroller on the subject of extra police services--on July 23 reported that the thirty-fourth
section of the Act to reduce the several laws relating particularly to the State of New York, into one act, together with
the report of the Police committee adopted by the Common Council, February, 1812, authorized the Comptroller to make such
payments only under the certificate of the Special Justices. In the present case, it was claimed the Ward Magistrate, no having
been aware of such regulation, employed officers without the knowledge of the Special Justices, but, as this was evidently
done in good faith, the committee recommended that the Comptroller pay the sum of one hundred and thirty-two dollars and sixty-six
cents to such officers. The common Council, while adopting the report, declared it to be their opinion that the law required
that the services of the Police officers in the several Wards should be obtained solely on application to the Special Police
Magistrates, in order that such services might be ]certified to by them according to law, and that no bills should thereafter
be paid that did not comply with these conditions.