About the St. John Parish Sheriff's Office
According to the St. John Parish Sheriff's Office, "the first Sheriff of St.
John Parish was elected in 1814, nearly two years after Louisiana, the only
state to call it's counties "Parishes", became a state. St John was one of the
first parishes created. St. John Parish, split by the Mississippi River, is
located in Southeast Louisiana, approximately 30 miles west of New Orleans. The
first Courthouse, established in 1807 was located in Bonnet Carre' Point, in
Lucy, Louisiana, on the west bank of the Mississippi River. In 1848 the Parish
Seat was moved to Edgard, Louisiana, where a new courthouse was built. In 1967,
a new courthouse was constructed in Edgard, located between the old Courthouse
and the Mississippi River.
This building still stands today and is occupied by the District Courts, Clerk
of Court, and District Attorney. In 1967, a Courthouse Annex building was
constructed in LaPlace, Louisiana, on the east bank of the Mississippi River,
which houses the Sheriff's Office and Jail, Assessor's Office, and the Parish
President's Office. In 1997, a new Parish Prison, housing over 300 inmates, was
opened. The Criminal Investigations Division, Narcotics Division, and Patrol
Division are now located in separate buildings in LaPlace, Louisiana.
The Sheriff is a Constitutional Officer of the State of Louisiana who serves a
four year term. Law Enforcement and Corrections personnel are appointed by the
Sheriff and must meet the certification requirements of the Louisiana Peace
Officers Standards of Training (POST) Council."