About the New York
The first law-enforcement officer began to patrol the trails and paths of New York City when it was known as New
Amsterdam, and was a Dutch settlement and fort in the year 1625. This lawman was known as a "Schout – fiscal"
(sheriff – attorney) and was charged with keeping the peace, settling minor disputes, and warning colonists if fires
broke out at night. The first Schout was a man named Johann Lampo.
The Rattle Watch was a group of colonists during the Dutch era (1609 - 1664) who patrolled from
sunset until dawn. They carried weapons, lanterns and wooden rattles (that are similar to the ratchet noisemakers used during
New Year celebrations). The rattles made a very loud, distinctive sound and were used to warn farmers and colonists of threatening
situations. Upon hearing this sound, the colonists would rally to defend themselves or form bucket-brigades to put out fires.
The rattles were used because whistles had not yet been invented. The Rattle Watchmen also are believed to have carried lanterns
that had green glass inserts. This was to help identify them while they were on patrol at night (as there were no streetlights
at that time). When they returned to their Watch House from patrol, they hung their lantern on a hook by the front door to
show that the Watchman was present in the Watch House. Today, green lights are still hung outside the entrances of Police
Precincts as a symbol that the "Watch" is present and vigilant.
When the High Constable of New York City, Jacob Hays retired from service in 1844, permission was
granted by the Governor of the state to the Mayor of the City to create a Police Department. A force of approximately 800
men under the first Chief of Police, George W. Matsell, began to patrol the City in July of 1845. They wore badges that had
an eight-pointed star (representing the first 8 paid members of the old Watch during Dutch times). The badges had the seal
of the City in their center and were made of stamped copper.